La Maladie de la Vache Folle

| Thursday, September 10, 2009

Today I learned to coolest phrase I've ever heard. But first of all, let me say that I learned more in one remedial class session here than I did in an entire semester of French at SAU. Today I quite literally went through the caf calling friends and strangers alike, "Tu es fou/folle!" I don't remember the last time I had that much fun speaking in a foreign language. I've cursed in other languages and not gotten the same funny feeling. It was "good humor". It was fun. That class was great. A friend of ours was asking the most useful questions and so now I'm prepared for most social situations. I'll obviously have to carry the paper taped to my forehead to keep it handy, but it's going to be awesome when I'm prepared for more than just "Je ne parlais pas francais...". I'm actually feeling quite optimistic about this french linguistic adventure.

Regarding the people, it's a great place. The theology majors here are the same as a Jesus loving, sport loving, art major back at SAU. The people are really nice and willing to help you. I know that if I were at Talge and a bunch of French punks invaded my dorm, I'd be livid. They're actually quite nice. They are strict about noise levels which, as all of my RA's can tell you, make it really difficult for me to live at anytime past 9pm. So, all in all, this place is awesome. I hope I still love it come a few months from now.
So, the french reader might ask, why the funny title? Well, I'm thinking of naming my future band, "La Maladie de la Vache Folle". It would be a hit with the indie people because they just love anything that's trendy including french, it would be a hit with the kids because they speak like that, and with the french because most of them already seem to know that it would be awesome; hence I think it would most definitely work. There, sorted.

A bientot. Bonsoir.

-Didier

0 comments: